a Rune a day

a board to discuss any form of divination

a Rune a day

Postby Madame Marigold » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:33 pm

Sunday, 2-7-2016

The Gospel of John begins with "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." The Egyptians believed that Ptah dreamed creation in his heart, then spoke it into being. The Hopi believed that Tawa and Spider Woman brought the world into existence by singing their Creation Song. We embody our thoughts when we mold them into words and symbols: our speech, our singing, our communication is a reflection of the Great Shaping which brought order out of chaos and form out of formlessness.
Ansuz governs speech and communications: it holds the key to the relations between the worlds of the Sacred and Profane, and to the forces which enabled us to shape civilization and to transmit our knowledge to our community and our heirs. Ansuz is the rune which allows us to put our wisdom to use: we cannot learn without listening and we cannot teach without speaking. And in its highest form, Ansuz is also the Rune which contains the secret of all the other Runes.

When he hung on Yggdrasil for nine days and nine nights, Odin gained knowledge of the primal forces which shaped the universe. He also gained a way by which he could create bodies for them and speak with them directly. These bodies were the symbols which we call the Runes: by drawing them and reddening them with blood, we give form to the force. Much as Vodouisants will "tie a paket," a bundle of herbs and sacred objects which contains a spirit, the rune contains a living and sentient force which can allow us both to read the world and to make changes within it. By his sacrifice Odin established communication between us and the formless forces of the Runes. Our use of language is a reflection in the lower realms of that holy sacrifice.

Ansuz reminds us that our words are sacred: they give life to our ideas and allow us to change the world. Words can bring down empires and defeat armies: those who doubt this need only consider Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" and "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speeches. But words can also work powerful evil. The politician who deflects honest criticism with convincing lies; the priest raising an Easter pogrom against his congregation's Jewish neighbors; the smooth-talking pimp corrupting an innocent - all these draw upon the power of Ansuz. Ansuz gives us the power to communicate and persuade: it also gives us the responsibility to choose our speech wisely.

Much as Odin spoke with the Runes, Ansuz allows us to speak with - and for - the Gods. If Wunjo is the rune of the Mystic, Ansuz is the rune of the Prophet. It allows us to act as the vessel by which the Divine speaks to mortals. (This is no easy path to follow: history shows that many a seer came to an unpleasant end and many hard prophecies were rejected in favor of soothing lies until they could no longer be ignored). Writers and artists can call on Ansuz for access to the Sacred Wisdom and the truths which elevate work from merely competent into divinely inspired.

On a more mundane level, Ansuz can help us to establish a connection with those we wish to persuade. It can be called upon to alleviate misunderstandings and to find a diplomatic way to convey difficult information. Those who work on computers may find it a useful ally in making sure bits and bytes are transmitted clearly: it can help you to find and fix the flaws in your network. And if you are being targeted by slander or gossip, Ansuz can help to ensure that both truth and lies are revealed.
(BRB trying to bring pic over)
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Re: a Rune a day

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:31 pm

Very interesting, Madam M.
Love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Ouroboros
Your Evilness Queen of Chaos

Postby Madame Marigold » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:31 pm

it would be so much better if I could get pic of the RUNE to come over as well! ugghhhhh but here is todays!
*********************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~********************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*********************
Germanic Name: Dagaz

English Name: Breakthrough

Meaning:
Dagaz denotes important breakthroughs in relation to whatever concerns you. The moment is right and therefore success is assured. This is the Rune of radical trust, even if circumstances require you to jump to the void with apparently empty hands.

It often introduces an important time of prosperity and great results. However, you are reminded to pay attention and not allow yourself to be carried away or to behave carelessly in your new situation. Humility and generosity are advised.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Newton's First Law of Motion states that no object at rest will begin moving unless some outside force acts upon it. Raido is that outside force. It is the rune which upends stasis. It is the impetus which drives the deer in search of fertile fields and sends the wanderer off in search of excitement and adventure. Raido is the restlessness that ensures our lives and our society will not stagnate: it is the burning curiosity which sends us off in search of new horizons and discoveries.

While Jera is cyclical and travels over a fixed path, Raido is linear and free-ranging. Travelers may arrive at their goal by many paths. Their experiences on the road and upon arrival are unpredictable - and indeed, that unpredictability is part of the point! Raido wants to be surprised and challenged: it grows restless in safe and predictable surroundings and heads off in search of excitement.

Raido has been called the "journey-rune" and that is certainly one of its most important aspects. When it appears in a layout it often means the querent will be traveling soon. The nature of this trip and the final destination may be gleaned from the surrounding runes. It can signify a time to charge forward or a time to retreat: whatever form it may take, you can be sure that some kind of motion will be required as standing still is not an option when Raido is ascendant. Most often some kind of literal travel and movement will be involved: Raido is rarely content to confine its manifestations to the metaphorical realm.

Raido can be called upon when you have fallen into a rut and need a change in your life. But as with any of the runes, caution is advised before calling on it. Raido may give you a new adventure, but it may also give you a deeper understanding of the Chinese curse about "interesting times." Risk and danger are as integral to Raido as movement. Before Raido has finished working itself through your situation, you are likely to find yourself yearning for the security and comfort you left behind. After all, homesickness is as much a part of the traveler's life as wanderlust.

If you are facing opposition from enemies or unwanted attention from persistent suitors, Raido can be used like Hoodoo's famous Hot Foot Powder. It can make a target uncomfortable in your presence and give them the urge to get far away from you. Combined with Thurisaz in a bind-rune, it can make your enemy unable to settle down or commit to anything: at its worst it can lead to a terrifying akathisia that may result in death or insanity. Conversely, it can be reversed and combined with Isa to block an enemy's movement and hinder any efforts at escape.

But Raido also has many more benevolent uses. As part of a bind-rune it can provide intense kinetic power to a spell. It can be called upon to bless a trip or voyage and ensure that the roads are smooth and that the journey is a profitable one. Combined with Chalc, it can send you on a spiritual quest that will be rich with both danger and reward. (This may be a good choice if you are going to be going on a pilgrimage or vision quest: it is not something to be undertaken lightly, but it will repay amply those who are brave enough to seek the Chapel Perilous). Chalc can provide the Grail vision: Raido can help ensure that the details of the trip go smoothly. While Raido enjoys adventure, like any seasoned traveler it knows the value of packing appropriately and getting one's documents in order. It may be an easily bored rune, but it is not a scattered or impractical one.

(I hope you guys don't mind these more defined definitions of the runes. If you would rather have the shorter versions let me know! Same as for getting the photo of the rune to copy over! I've tried bout everything.) :cry: :? :roll:
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:33 pm

Nauthiz

Need
Needs have been unrecognized or unfulfilled. The path to healing and fulfillment lies in answering these fundamental needs. A course of action must be chosen. Desire and need can be a source of strength.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby patrah » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:37 am

Oh I need rune lessons....
Something I never wanted to learn until recently....
Am
Ned now look, a rune lesson.....
Will have to look em up,to see how they look though eh?
Wow....am eager to....
Thank you again Madam Marigold....
You have so much to share....
patrah
Dark Beauty

Postby Madame Marigold » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:00 pm

MYSTERY
Perthro represents that which we cannot fully know.
Perthro, which signifies a cup, must be consumed to understand what it contains.
Fate is at work here, and answers can only come with time. Explore.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:12 pm

A Journey

Raidho symbolizes the chariot, or a journey which is physical or spiritual. Perspective is gained from a new vantage point. A time to make a change, or a journey which leads to spiritual transformation. Good advice.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:48 pm

[from http://kenazfilan.blogspot.com]

After reading my friend Galina Krasskova's excellent new book, Runes: Theory and Practice, I became interested in the magical use of the ancient Sacred Alphabet. These are some notes of my working with Naudhiz, the rune of Necessity and Need-Fire.

I was immediately impressed with how powerful this rune is. I can see where adding it to a bindrune would definitely increase the speed, force and efficacy of the working. But I can also see how it needs to be used with caution. If you really need the magic to work it is a powerful aide but if not it's likely to turn on you.

Naudhiz is the adrenalin burst that lets you lift a car off your child or the force of will that lets you keep going long after your body should have collapsed miles ago. I got the sense it only likes to be called when there is a real need: it feeds off the fear and stress of desperation. If that isn't there, it feels cheated and will put you in a place where you can feed it. It will teach you very quickly the difference between "want" and "need."

I think Naudhiz could also be a very useful rune for those who desperately need to grow the hell up and accept responsibility for their actions. Meditating on Naudhiz and taking its advice would likely be considerably less painful than having it manifest uncontrolled in your life.

This could be a powerful rune in love magic for making someone fall hopelessly, desperately in love with you or for inflicting a painful obsession on a target . I would probably give it an animal were I using it for that purpose. While it would be feeding off the target, I think it would also expect payment from the caster. Naudhiz is very much about getting reimbursed for anything it does.

Galina identifies Naudhiz with Sigyn, the wife of Loki in her role as Loki's protector in the cave. I totally agree: Sigyn embodies the kind of terror, suffering and perseverance at the heart of Naudhiz. Naudhiz can give you the stamina to prevail over obstacles and the wisdom to know what to keep and how to get by without that which you have lost. It's definitely an unforgiving rune but a powerful one to those who are ready to pay its price.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:25 pm

RUNE FOR 2-26-2016

SOWILO

During the Scandinavian winter the sun appears only rarely, shedding wan rays over the fields of ice and snow. As its arc rises higher in the sky, the world reawakens and the burdens of winter give way to the promise of spring and the long warm white nights of summer. It is not surprising that Sunna, the sun was important to people who spent a good part of the year in twilight and another part in endless dawn.

Sowilo's warmth can drive away the chill of apathy or the fog of confusion. The ghosts and shadows of the past are chased off by the bright glow of its eternal here-and-now. It is a rune of what is and what will be rather than what has been, the force which through the green fuse drives the flower, the dawning that destroys the darkness and awakens us from sleep.

This is a powerful healing rune which can be used to shake off infections and to rebuild one's strength after a long illness. If you are weary and feel you can go no further, Sowilo can give you a "second wind" which will allow you to soldier on. It can also be used to strengthen the will and give courage and charisma: channeled through you, its force can make you burn bright as the sun.

Sowilo brings the blinding flash of mystical attainment: it is the knowledge which dazzles your senses and burns itself into your soul. But its fire is the Apollonian inspiration of poetry, science and strategy, not the Dionysian fury of madness and intoxication. This is not the madness of Odin on the Wild Hunt or his Berserkers charging madly into battle. Rather, it is the "Aha!" which allows you to grasp the answer to a difficult problem.

Sowilo is often used as a victory-rune (and was co-opted in that capacity by the Third Reich's Schutzstaffel for their SS badge). In the Hávámal Odin says

An eleventh I know: if haply I lead
my old comrades out to war,
I sing 'neath the shields, and they fare forth mightily
safe into battle,
safe out of battle,
and safe return from the strife.
But Sowilo's victory is one gained through superior tactics and insight, not through brute strength or blind fury. There is a great elegance to this rune. Much as the sun rises and sets by a tight schedule and hews on its course along a well-mapped arc, Sowilo is a rune which combines power and precision. It is the sword-strike of the skilled warrior, the orderly advance of the well-trained legion. If you are working on a project which requires that sort of discipline, you will do well to channel this rune's power and learn its lessons.

Sowilo is generally considered one of the most positive of the runes when it comes up in a reading. But, as always, this depends on the surrounding runes. Sowilo can illuminate the truth and show you the way out of the darkness. But it can also bring to light things you might rather stay hidden. Like the other runes, Sowilo is neither benevolent nor cruel. The sun can expose your failings as well as your triumphs. It shows how far you have come and how far you still have to go: it may even reveal that you have lost your way entirely. You may profit from the knowledge it brings or scurry back into the shadows: what you do with its wisdom is entirely up to you.

(if you guys would prefer the shorter definitions just let me know!) :D this one just had so much info even the healing part so it seemed appropriate.... :oops:
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:56 pm

Rune for Sunday, Feb 28th 2016

ANSUZ

"Wisdom and Creative Energy"

Ansuz symbolizes creativity in all its forms. Words, music, the birth of a child, or an endeavor which is coming to fruition. Life force and ambition are also represented here. Inspiration, wisdom and spiritual knowledge.

(No one has said... are these short versions ok? Or would you guys prefer the more in depth definitions with the pics? Let me know! :mrgreen:
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Rune for Monday march 1st 2016

INGWAZ

the Earth
Ingwaz represents both the home and the greater world: Our oneness with the universe. Common sense is indicated here, as well as social consciousness. Love, caring, human warmth. A time of rest, or period of time spent at home. Reflect on the relationship of your personal existence to the world at large. Are there larger issues at play?
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:57 pm

I don't know which of the 2 versions you guys prefer? So here is a 3rd version to consider!

ANZUZ (and its tarot and magical correspondences)

Tarot : Death
Sign : Venus
God : ODin
Colour : Dark Blue
Tree : Ash
Herb : Fly Agoric
A revealing message or insight, communication. Signals, inspiration, enthusiasm, speech, true vision, power of words and naming. Blessings, the taking of advice. Good health, harmony, truth, wisdom.

Reversed or Merkstave: Misunderstanding, delusion, manipulation by others, boredom. Vanity and grandiloquence.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:44 pm

URUZ

Tarot : High Priestess
Sign : Taurus
God : Vanir
Colour : Dark Green
Tree : Birch
Herb : Sphognum Moss
Physical strength and speed, untamed potential. A time of great energy and health. Freedom, energy, action, courage, strength, tenacity, understanding, wisdom. Sudden or unexpected changes (usually for the better). Sexual desire, masculine potency. The shaping of power and pattern, formulation of the self.
Uruz Reversed or Merkstave: Weakness, obsession, misdirected force, domination by others. Sickness, inconsistency, ignorance. Lust, brutality, rashness, callousness, violence.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:53 pm

3-5-16

RAIDHO

Tarot : Heirophant
Sign : Sagittarius
God : Forseti
Colour : Bright Red
Tree : Oak
Herb : Mugwort
Travel, both in physical terms and those of lifestyle direction. A journey, vacation, relocation, evolution, change of place or setting. Seeing a larger perspective. Seeing the right move for you to make and deciding upon it. Personal rhythm, world rhythm, dance of life. Raidho Reversed or Merkstave: Crisis, rigidity, stasis, injustice, irrationality. Disruption, dislocation, demotion, delusion, possibly a death.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:39 pm

Sunday, March 6th 2016

MANNAZ

Tarot : Magician
Sign : Jupiter
God : Odin/Heimdall
Colour : Deep Red
Tree : Holly
Herb : Madder
The Self; the individual or the human race. Your attitude toward others and their attitudes towards you. Friends and enemies, social order. Intelligence, forethought, create, skill, ability. Divine structure, intelligence, awareness. Expect to receive some sort of aid or cooperation now. Mannaz Reversed or Merkstave: Depression, mortality, blindness, self-delusion. Cunning, slyness, manipulation, craftiness, calculation. Expect no help now.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:45 pm

3-7-2016

NAUTHIZ

Tarot : Devil
Sign : Capricorn
God : Nornir/Etins
Colour : Black
Tree : Beech
Herb : Bistort
Delays, restriction. Resistance leading to strength, innovation, need-fire (self-reliance). Distress, confusion, conflict, and the power of will to overcome them. Endurance, survival, determination. A time to exercise patience. Recognition of one's fate. Major self-initiated change. Face your fears. Nauthiz Reversed or Merkstave: Constraint of freedom, distress, toil, drudgery, laxity. Necessity, extremity, want, deprivation, starvation, need, poverty, emotional hunger.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:01 pm

3-10-2016
(another version for the rune Mannaz)

Mannaz
Now is the time for you to explore your inner self and those of others. Your intelligence and creativity are very well honed at the moment. Cooperation from and with others should be very easy to attain
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:11 pm

RAIDHO

Travel, both in physical terms and those of lifestyle direction. A journey, vacation, relocation, evolution, change of place or setting. Seeing a larger perspective. Seeing the right move for you to make and deciding upon it. Personal rhythm, world rhythm, dance of life. Raidho Reversed or Merkstave: Crisis, rigidity, stasis, injustice, irrationality. Disruption, dislocation, demotion, delusion, possibly a death
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:28 pm

INGWAZ

Tarot : Judgement
Sign : New Moon
God : Ing/Freya
Colour : Yellow
Tree: Apple
Herb: Selfheal
Male fertility, gestation, internal growth. Common virtues, common sense, simple strengths, family love, caring, human warmth, the home. Rest stage, a time of relief, of no anxiety. A time when all loose strings are tied and you are free to move in a new direction. Listen to yourself. Ingwaz Merkstave (Ingwaz cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Impotence, movement without change. Production, toil, labor, work.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:48 pm

THURISAZ

Tarot : Emporer
Sign : Mars
God : Thor
Herb : House Leek
Reactive force, directed force of destruction and defense, conflict. Instinctual will, vital eroticism, regenerative catalyst. A tendency toward change. Catharsis, purging, cleansing fire. Male sexuality, fertilization.
Thurisaz Reversed or Merkstave: Danger, defenselessness, compulsion, betrayal, dullness. Evil, malice, hatred, torment, spite, lies. A bad man or woman.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:46 pm

3-19-2016

RAIDHO

Travel, both in physical terms and those of lifestyle direction. A journey, vacation, relocation, evolution, change of place or setting. Seeing a larger perspective. Seeing the right move for you to make and deciding upon it. Personal rhythm, world rhythm, dance of life. Raidho Reversed or Merkstave: Crisis, rigidity, stasis, injustice, irrationality. Disruption, dislocation, demotion, delusion, possibly a death.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:15 pm

TIWAZ

Tarot : Justice
Sign : Libra
God:Tyr/ Mani
Tree: Oak
Herb: Sage
Honor, justice, leadership and authority. Analysis, rationality. Knowing where one's true strengths lie. Willingness to self-sacrifice. Victory and success in any competition or in legal matters. Tiwaz Reversed or Merkstave: One's energy and creative flow are blocked. Mental paralysis, over-analysis, over-sacrifice, injustice, imbalance. Strife, war, conflict, failure in competition. Dwindling passion, difficulties in communication, and possibly separation.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:34 pm

THURISAZ

Tarot : Emporer
Sign : Mars
God : Thor
Herb : House Leek

Reactive force, directed force of destruction and defense, conflict. Instinctual will, vital eroticism, regenerative catalyst. A tendency toward change. Catharsis, purging, cleansing fire. Male sexuality, fertilization.

Thurisaz Reversed or Merkstave: Danger, defenselessness, compulsion, betrayal, dullness. Evil, malice, hatred, torment, spite, lies. A bad man or woman.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Postby Madame Marigold » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:47 pm

NAUTHIZ

Tarot : Devil
Sign : Capricorn
God : Nornir/Etins
Colour : Black
Tree : Beech
Herb : Bistort
Delays, restriction. Resistance leading to strength, innovation, need-fire (self-reliance). Distress, confusion, conflict, and the power of will to overcome them. Endurance, survival, determination. A time to exercise patience. Recognition of one's fate. Major self-initiated change. Face your fears. Nauthiz Reversed or Merkstave: Constraint of freedom, distress, toil, drudgery, laxity. Necessity, extremity, want, deprivation, starvation, need, poverty, emotional hunger.
Madame Marigold
Free Spirit

Next

Return to Divination