[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
onestopwitchshop.com • View topic - The Moon masculine or feminine?

The Moon masculine or feminine?

Anything and every thing about the Moon

The Moon masculine or feminine?

Postby arianllwynog (nog) » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:16 am

Have we time for a little discussion on the Moon can it be seen as masculine or feminine?

Is the feminine moon a recent incarnation? :?
arianllwynog (nog)
Jewel

Re: The Moon masculine or feminine?

Postby Elia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:59 pm

I always thought it was feminine, and the Sun masculine.
Elia
Your Evilness Queen of Chaos

Postby arianllwynog (nog) » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:00 am

As strange as it seems now many early systems were linked to a Goddess of the Sun with the Moon as the masculine element it really make sense when you look closely.

The Anglo Saxons saw the Day as masculine but the Sun (Sunni) as feminine and the Moon as the boy in the sky (Mona) masculine with night being feminine.

The appearance of male sun gods appeared quite late on the scene, as male priesthoods became dominant over the much older priestesshoods of the Sun Goddess, by assigning feminine power to the lesser light of the Moon they claimed the power and brightness of the Sun for themselves.

You can clearly see this in the older Indo-European language family such as Sanskrit, German and old Goidelic were the Moon is masculine and the Sun feminine, even in the very ancient Sumerian tongue the word for Moon is explicitly masculine.

It only changes with the much later Sanskrit- related languages (romantic) Latin, Greek, French, Italian and Portuguese where the masculine is assigned to the Sun making the Moon feminine.
arianllwynog (nog)
Jewel

Postby SilverMoonTiger » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:46 pm

In my practice the moon is feminine. The Moon is my goddess and the Sun is my god. She is more gentle than the sun and brings me comfort in the night.
SilverMoonTiger
Site Admin

Postby Ouroboros » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:51 pm

I think the masculine Sun is a result of the Christians corupting the Sun into the Son. In recent times so to speak. As the Sun is so important to life. In Stone age times the Sun penetrated Mounds ie Maes Howe in the Orkneys, Mid Winter,to fertilize the earth. There is a similar mound in Ireland, the name escapes me at the moment. I have never thought of the Sun as feminine. But the moon to me is definately Feminine,
Love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Ouroboros

Postby arianllwynog (nog) » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:04 am

I also have always thought of the Moon as feminine in both my training and practice, but the older I get the more searching I become or may be just awkward ;) It is interesting to look at the way things change over time to become the perceived truth as we celebrate 4 seasons when Spring and Autumn were only added in the 16th and 17th centuries, before this it was either summer (May to October) or winter with the progress of the year controlled by the Moons cycle. Just as Lughnasadh is now a fixed day 31st July when it would make far more sense for it to be celebrated a couple of weeks later on the Harvest Moon, you see just plain awkward :D that's me.

An ancient story goes: The Sun my Mother. If there is no Sun, then there will be nothing on earth, as if there is no Mother there will be no children! As the Sun and Mother have the same duties, they began calling the Sun "My Mother" this type of thread can be found in many ancient cultures linked to Sun Goddess sites in Britain, Ireland, Egypt, Korea, Siberia and there are even hidden clues to be found in the legend of Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess of Shinto the oldest religion of Japan.
arianllwynog (nog)
Jewel

Postby Ouroboros » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:56 pm

This is why we "Do as you wilt".
Love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Ouroboros

Postby arianllwynog (nog) » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Very true it's that old favourite of continuity and change nothing stands still.
arianllwynog (nog)
Jewel

Postby Ouroboros » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:59 pm

That's for sure. That is why I am the Ouroboros.
Love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Ouroboros

Postby arianllwynog (nog) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:12 am

Oh yes so you are :lol:
arianllwynog (nog)
Jewel

Postby Elia » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Elia